Monday, March 11, 2013

First Week Field Experience!

First Week Field Experience!
Observations: From the first day I became a part of Mr. A's class I knew it was going to be a fun and engaging experience just based off of his personality. He moves around the classroom and is always engaging the kids whether he is teaching or checking answers. He is encouraging towards the kids and ensures that everyone is understanding the lesson. 
Learning Experiences: For the first week I began to see how their class works and what Mr. A does to make things work for his class. From the get go he was already giving me tips- when making foldables for their math notes give all the kids the same color construction paper so that you as the teacher can refer back to it easily-that would be a helpful tool I would not even think about! The kids got to learn about CMS and what it will be like as a 6th grader next year. CMS came for a short period of time and started to get them ready for the transition to middle school. All the kids were excited as they got to learn about the new changes when being in middle school, some positive such as lockers while other not so much like shorter recess. 
Reflections: The first thing that connected with what I learned in the classroom with my field experience was one of the students in Mr. A's class that has aspergers. Mr. A told me what I had already learned, that they try and keep the special needs kids integrated with normal kids as much as possible. I think its great that this particular child gets to be in normal class like everyone else and receive the same benefits as other kids in these AGP classes.
Stories: As we are going over homework I start to hear Mr. A start signing and then the kids start to get out of their chairs and sit on their desks. Before I know it they are all sings harmoniously about the different types of triangles  It was like out of a scene of High School Musical (Elementary School Musical rather..ha) except they were actually learning and able to use these songs to help them with math. It took me by surprise but it was too cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment